UN review China’s human rights, while Fu Chang-guo detained for more than 100 days 

The United Nation Human Rights Council recently conducted universal periodic review on China’s human rights, where China had to answer questions from other member states. At the review session, the Chinese government declared its respect human rights, while workers related to the Jasic labour dispute were arrested for more than 100 days and not allowed to see their lawyers. 

Fu Chang-guo, staff of the Shenzhen Dagongzhe Workers’ Centre (DGZ) were arrested on 10 August because of the Jasic labour dispute and is still under detention.  He was “officially arrested” on 8 September, 3 months ago.   His lawyer, Tan Cheng-shou, saw him once on 20 September at the Shenzhen Second Detention Centre, and was not allowed to meet him since then.  The lawyer learned from the conversation that the charge against Fu changed from “picking quarrels and provoking trouble” to “assembling a crowd to disturb social order”.  In September, Tan has tried to get Fu on bail but was denied by staff at the detention centre because Fu was said to be “probable of destroying evidence and faking statement”. 

Tan called the detention centre in October to request a meeting with Fu, but he was told to apply in person at the detention centre.  When Fu went all the way from Guangxi to Shenzhen Second Detention Centre on 24 October to make the request, he was told that Fu was being interrogated by the police and the meeting request was denied. 

According to Article 37 of the Criminal Procedural Law of the People’s Republic of China,  “[w]hen a defense lawyer files a request for a meeting with a criminal suspect or defendant in custody on the basis of the lawyer's practicing license, a certificate issued by the law firm, and a power of attorney or an official legal aid document, a jail shall arrange a meeting in a timely manner, no later than 48 hours after the request is filed”. 

Fu Chang-guo was detained for more than 3 months, but his family and lawyer only received a notice of criminal detention in August.  They have not received formal notice of arrest and do not know the exact accusation. 

Fu’s family members sent letters to Fu Chang-guo but the detention centre refused to receive their letters.  The only way to communicate with Fu at the moment was the message attached to remittance to him. 

According to Article 91 of the Criminal Procedural Law of the People’s Republic of China, “[t]he family of the arrestee shall be notified within 24 hours after arrest, unless such notification is impossible”.

Related Aritcle: China Labor NGO DGZ named to be in “collusion with overseas forces”, by Xinhua News Agency